Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"Challenged" by Ironman Canada...

In the week leading up to Ironman Canada in Penticton 2012, I felt that I should have signed up for it. Just the thought of doing this Ironman race again was appealing. I had everything figured out for 2013 as I am moving into the 45-49 age group. I was planning on training hard to be able to take a shot a qualifying for Kona in 2013. My plan was to race Oliver and/ or Osoyoos Half Ironman as both races offer IMC spots... well, I guess, they used to.
With the announcement that IM Canada would be discontinued and Challenge was taking over the Penticton event, my plan was screwed up. In fact, I was a little upset because like many fellow triathletes, I am hanging somewhat in the air. My goal is to do Kona one day, and racing Challenge Penticton is not gonna get me there! And Ironman Canada has not announced their new location yet - if there is going to be one in 2013. I honestly would not be surprised if there wasn't. It is a corporation after all...
In any case, I decided to wait and pre-registered (for free) for a spot in the new, soon to be announced Ironman Canada. Apparently, more Kona spots and points for the pros will be offered making it an attractive event. I sure hope they don't run it on the East coast...
If I cannot get an IMC spot for whatever reason, I will sign up for the Challenge assuming there are still spots left when I decide. I am hopeful.. I believe others think the same way and hang tight until IM Canada has announced details.
There have been rumors about IM Whistler - wow! I would appreciate it because it would be home turf. I would also like to see it it because it would definitely be a tough course separating triathlon poodles from athletes...
An Ironman race including Vancouver in any way would be a nightmare just because of logistics, access etc. Vancouver is a huge gong show as it is...
Who knows, maybe they will run IMC in Prince George.
If nothing works out for me, I will just race Half Ironman in 2013 and have fun doing so. After all, triathlons should be fun despite all the commercial and marketing BS involved with the big races...

No comments:

Post a Comment