Friday, August 3, 2012

Relaxing June and solid July...

After my successful racing frenzy in May, June was somewhat lazy due to recovery and a well-deserved sea kayak trip on the BC North Coast. The week long kayak trip forced me to be inactive as far as my legs go - it was not too pleasant.
I had been contemplating the Vancouver Half Ironman in early July but I was not hungry enough to really race it. I decided to focus on the Squamish Triathlon, my hometown event, a week later. That decision proved to be right. I prepared as well as I could with a few lake swims and several solid run workouts.
I raced my best Squamish Tri yet and finished in 2:08:53 in 5th place overall. I was very happy, especially with my swim time.
Given the relatively short distance, I decided to run the VFAC 10K Summerfast 6 days later, just to see what I would be able to do on a 10K full out. Coach John Hill had set me up for a 37:30 which was ambitious but not impossible. The race turned out to be one of my better 10K races despite a wipeout at one of the turnaround points due to rain in the morning. I am a big guy after all.... I started with a controlled pace with focus on being able to sustain the pace or even finish faster. After 2-3K in to the race I had found my rhythm and was catching up with people that had "hammered out of the gate". I finished strong in 37:35 - a solid effort that I am more than happy with.
Now, I am looking forward to Sunday's Squamish Loggers Days 10K. I have only done one run within the last 2 weeks though. It will probably be a slower 10K for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment